I did have a go last year at making a dress. I'm impatient though. I like things done in an evening and clothes invariably take a lot longer than that. So I've taken my foot off the gas pedal a bit and had another go with a pinafore pattern that was in this months Making magazine.
Then I thought I'd make a draw string bag I seen in a book I've had on my shelf for a while and inspired by 'Sewing Bee' style fabric, of sewing machines and sewing patterns. Loved the fabric, loved the look of the bag but once I'd made it I found it just gaped open which isn't ideal for a handbag, too much of an open invitation. I suspected it might do that as the draw string was only on the front side.
All three things are from existing patterns, but every ones tastes and requirements are different, so never be afraid to make changes.
And finally to the total custom fit. The corset. This is something I've been taking my time with (about six months) because I have found it a little daunting. However, now, it's pretty much finished bar a few embellishments, and today I laced and tried it on. And it fitted!! Chuffed is not the word. I am particularly happy with the end result. Its the simplest way to make a corset and quite probably corset makers would shudder at my technique, but I'm the one who's wearing it.
And on that note, I'll be off. Got flutes to fettle and soprano saxophones to fix.
Take care. xx