Friday 11 May 2012

Peg Bag

Ok. Washing on, pot of coffee made. And the sun's out. Finally. I have got soaked so many times on the school run its just not funny any more. We live within a couple of minutes walk of the school so I steadfastly refuse to take the car, but honestly... the first few times I put it down to coincidence, but now I think something has a purpose.
And with the sun taking up residence, albeit probably briefly, here's my peg bag tutorial. Once upon a time I never used to associate sunshine and clothes drying possibilities; now one sniff of a sunny day and I'm stripping the beds!

I hadn't even thought about peg bags until I got asked for one at a craft fair last month. Then my mum got asked for one on a craft stall she was running. And I guess they're kind of useful. You need somewhere to keep your pegs after all! Plus they're very easy to make, which is always a good thing.

You will need:

Two rectangles of outer fabric about 33cm x 44cm. You want something pretty hard wearing as it'll be hanging on your washing line and if you're anything like me you won't remember to take it in and out on a daily basis!
One rectangle of calico the same size and one of a nice backing fabric.
A coat hanger.

Into one of the main fabric pieces and the calico, cut your hole- size and shape entirely up to you, I think mine was about 10cm x 20cm.

Place the front pieces right sides together, pin and sew around the hole. Then snip around the curve to make it lie flat when you turn it.
Turn the right way round and iron flat, then top stitch around the hole.

 At this point you can add any design you like. I went for a peg. (Imaginative) This also provided me with the chance to have a play with my embroidery foot which it great fun, if a little uncontrollably scary at times!
Next, turn in the top to make the hole for the coat hanger- both sides. Press and stitch.

Repeat with the back sections. Put them wrong sides facing together, turn in the top by the same amount as the front and sew together.
All that's left to do after that is to place the front and back right sides facing and sew around the edges, leaving the top open for your hanger. I did a straight stitch, then a zigzag to strengthen the seams. Turn the right way out and press, then insert your hanger. I had to trim mine slightly to fit. No problem.
So there you have it. One peg bag. Cue black clouds...

No comments:

Post a Comment