Wednesday 10 October 2012

Comic Capers..

More often than not, my inspiration comes from the fabric I find. The variety never fails to amaze me and I must spent literally hours a week either browsing on the Internet or perusing the local fabric shops. A lot of the time I'll buy a fat quart or half metre without really knowing what I'm going to do with it, and with the right patterns or mix of materials, those small quantities can go a long way.

I got some oilcloth from eBay the other day. The original plan was to make some cosmetic bags with it, but the scale of the design was too big. Time for a sudden change of plan. Shopping bag.

A quick google offered up this pattern. www.twinkleandtwine.com. I was going to come up with one of my own, but when someone covers exactly what you want, why mess around with it?

Following in the Comic book vibe, I also had a fat quart of female superhero fabric. This teamed with a couple of old pairs of jeans- you know how I love using old jeans- produced two bags! Both were made from patterns in Making magazine that I'd had stashed in a folder. You know, one of those folders which in a rare instance of organisation, I tore all of the projects that I thought I might do at some point out of the huge pile of magazines in my workshop, then they've just sat there. In the folder instead of the magazines. I have a similar one for recipes too.
Anyway, I digress.The first is a pretty cool handbag with a bit of a sixties vibe about it.
The second is a tardis like messenger bag. I mean that as in, I put two big folders inside it and there was still loads of room for other stuff. Not as in it looks like a Tardis, (although I have seen those on line too).
I rather suspect, with some fabric covered in moustaches and another in old books having just arrived through the post, that my next offering may well be heading back down the steampunk line again. But we'll see. Things, as I'm sure you're aware, are always liable to change!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment