Wednesday 17 October 2012

Super Simple Purse Frame Tutorial

A while ago, quite a long while ago in fact, may well be a good six months back I bought a job lot of rectangular purse frames. Can't resist a bargain. They have, however been languishing in the bottom of a basket ever since. On the to do list but never quite making it to the top.

But with that Christmas thing approaching and a market on Saturday, I decide to pull my finger out and get making. Spurred on by a new handful of fat quarts, some delicious new Tilda fabrics, I had a quick search. I did find a tutorial I had used before, but it called for very stiff interfacing and made a purse that was just too firm for my liking.
 So this is my version. And its so simple that I managed to knock up a couple this morning whilst looking after young Pambers.


Firstly take your measurements. My purse frames are 14cm, I wanted them 9cm high and 6cm deep. So the pattern size is:

Width = 14cm + 6cm + 2 x seam allowance of 1cm = 22cm (purse frame width + 1 x depth + 2 x seam allowance)
Height = (2x9cm) + 6cm = 24cm (2 x height + depth)

Cut a rectangle of your required sizes from your main fabric, a lining fabric and iron on interfacing. Also cut a rectangle of felt the width of your purse frame by the height, ie. 14cm x 24cm.
Centre the felt on the back of the main fabric and place the interfacing over it and iron in place. Stitch a straight stitch along the top and the bottom to help hold it in place.
Fold your fabric in half right sides facing, and sew up both edges with a 1cm seam allowance.

Flatten out the corners and sew at a right angle,using the felt as a guide. The line should measure your purse depth - 6cm in my case.

Cut off the excess and turn the right side out. Repeat with the lining fabric- sew the sides and box the corners- but leave unturned.
Put the outer into the lining, line up the side seams and pin in place.

Using the felt as a guide, mark a line 1.5cm down, then join up. This is best shown rather than described:

Sew along these lines. You are creating a dip at either side which goes around the frame. Trim the fabric away- once again, cue picture!

You want to cut down to the corners but not through your stitching to create a sharp edge when you turn it.
turn it the right side out and press.

Nearly there. Just pin the top edges and sew a smallish zigzag stitch along the top.

All that's left is to glue it inside the frame. Done already!  When I glue the purse into the frame, I use a mega strong glue- I did doubt the strength of the glue until I tried to remove a purse from its frame one time and failed miserably!. Put a good load of glue in the frame and a little along the top edge of the purse, then leave it to dry for ten minutes or so. If you don't, and I once again speak from experience, you will end up with a great glue leakage and it doesn't come off fabric. With these frames I rolled up some paper (or alternatively use paper string!) and jammed it along the frame with a screw driver, then squeezed it shut with pliers- just make sure you cover the pliers with a micro fibre cloth or something similar. I did hit one or two of the frames with a rawhide mallet to close them up which is always good to release frustration! Just bear in mind that you'll have to do a bit of bending and straightening of the frame afterwards to get it to close.


My book and moustache fabric I mentioned in my last post became funky padded notebook covers:
And my liking for making oilcloth shoppers continues too:


Bring it on Christmas, I'm on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment