Wednesday 7 November 2012

Spicy Squash Soup

Well its the season for squash and pumpkins and all that. And I know they're good for you but I do have to admit to a bit of an aversion to squashes and root vegetables. Squashes and pumpkins I can get on with provided theres a bit of spice to them. After a trip to the farmers market at the weekend we returned with backs of deliciousness and a small butternut squash and a diddy pumpkin. I searched around for a really quick, simple recipe but failed. Its possible I didn't search that thoroughly however. Anyway, this is my go at one and although a little on the hot side for two chilli shy girls, it was a hit with me and the hubby and went a treat with our rye and caraway bread.
Please excuse the blurriness of the photo. Its a new camera with a lot of settings and I was obviously on the wrong one!

Ingredients:
1 onion diced
1 small butternut squash diced
1 small pumpkin diced
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
500ml vegetable stock
1 tin coconut milk
Fish sauce

Soften the onion in some oil for a few minutes then add your squash and pumpkin and stir it round with the curry paste. You can obviously add more or less depending on your liking for the hot stuff. Pour your stock in and leave to bubble away until the squash is soft. Take off the heat and blend to a smooth consistency. Add in the coconut milk then heat through again. Use the fish sauce to season. I think I used about a tablespoon but pour in a bit and taste it. You could also stir in some coriander too. Note to self, must grow a pot of coriander for the window sill.

Just what you need on a cold evening. And it has been cold recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment