Friday 18 January 2013

Let it snow.

My girl have already clocked that 'mummy doesn't like the snow'. And it has landed here in (by my standards) a major way. But I'm lucky because I don't have to go anywhere in it so I can enjoy it from the inside. Enough said.

Oh, except that this drop in temperature has made it nigh on impossible for me to go into my workshop with its draught still coming in through the door and tiled floor. Even the cats aren't too keen to spend much time in there and I can't say I blame them. Plus an event I was due to have a stand at was cancelled. Good in a way because I didn't fancy driving, but bad in another, because the glam vintage style niceties I had made are still sitting here.
I'd had this purse frame sitting here for ages in the box marked 'must do something with..' Its quite a large frame at about 11 inches and was missing the bobbles on the clasp. This was a case of being hit by inspiration and was surprisingly simple to make. Just draw up a template for the frame and sew on a few layers of fringe for a 1920's look. The only tip is to stick down the fringing with masking tape so it doesn't get caught up as you're sewing the outer together and gluing it into the frame.

This one is a small clutch bag, the pattern comes from 'Bags- the modern classics' by Sue Kim, which is a nice book with simple to follow patterns. I've made a three or four bags and purses out of this book now and all with good results. But, if anyone has this book and knows what the seam allowances are, please tell me! I've been back and forth through the book and I still can't find the answer!

Finally is this little clam shell purse. You can buy the frame from eBay or U-handbag, then just glue your chosen fabric to the outside and inside. I also glued a bit of trim around the edge of the frame to cover the gap between the metal frame and shell.

So these, for the moment are not going to the ball.

Folksy it is then.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment