Tuesday 5 February 2013

A Touch of Vintage

I'm all for a touch of vintage. Not in huge amounts I hasten to add. I like the idea of flawless hair and make up and glam outfits, but most of the time the most glam I get is a sweep of mascara. I don't even own a lipstick. What I do like however are the accessories which is why the first bit of this post is about on of the many books I am currently dipping in and out of- "Making Vintage Accessories" by Emma Brennan.

In this book there are twenty five assorted projects inspired by the 1920's to 1960's, a selection of bags, hats, collars, scarves and jewellery. My first make was a 1930's flounce scarf. In the book it has a ribbon and button trim. But making things for yourself is all about personalising it after all. So I steampunked mine up a bit.
Its made of fleece so there are no hems involved, making it an absolute doddle to put together, and its the cosiest scarf I now possess.
Next up, I had a go at a 1940's shoulder bag.

Again it was pretty simple to put together. I added a few pockets inside, as I find you can never have too many pockets. As it has a gusset, it holds a surprisingly large amount. I did have to re read some of the instructions to be clear on them, but I can never be sure if that's just me, having a moment!
There are quite a lot more projects in this book that I want to have a go at. My only niggle with it is that the patterns in the back need to be scaled up by 200% which I was unable to do on my copier at home so I had to do it by hand. Also as the book isn't spiral bound it was difficult to photocopy the patterns in the first place.

I have also been working on some new satchels too (which will soon be uploaded to my Folksy shop). I'm really pleased with how they turned out. They're so pretty!

That's all for now. I have a couple of purse frames in need of a purse, then its onto some book binding. Happy days.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment