Sunday 2 February 2014

Get the most out of your Sunday lunch

Sunday lunch, for us, is an intrinsic part of the weekend and the chicken is probably the most expensive single item on the shopping bill. So it makes sense to make the most of it. I have always stripped the carcas off and made a curry with the left overs the following day, but after delving into Jamie Olivers latest book, I have been able to take it further. My daughter aren't big meat eaters, so because of this I can stretch out a large chicken, but it won't exactly work for a large family of four.
I roast my chicken at a low temperature after soaking it in a brine overnight. I was intregued by seeing it on Heston Blumenthal,  I didn't think that you would cook a chicken at 100ºc for 90 minutes and it would cook in that time, but it does and more to the point it is incredibly moist and tasty. After the meal has been demolished by my family, I strip off every last bit of chicken. Its so much easier done when its still warm. From todays 1.6kg bird, I ended up with 500g of meat which I split into two containers and put in the fridgewhen cool.
With the carcass, I boil it up to make stock. Stick all the bones in a pan with 1.5 litres of water, half a carrot, half an onion , a few peppercorns and a bay leaf, bring to the boil and simmer for an hour or so.
So thats Sundays installment. I'll post a recipe for a really simple soup tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment