Sunday 9 October 2011

Can a girl ever have too many purses?

Or is it just a question of size?
First I had a purse with a five inch frame:
which was great for change, perfect for Avon delivery days, but I had to keep my cards in a separate wallet and remove them every time I wanted to get to said change.
Then for some reason I went really small. Very cute purse to match the Manga bag, 75mm purse frame, useless for holding more than about £1.50 in loose change and yet again separate wallet for credit cards. Much purse swapping ensued..

So now I've gone to the other extreme. 8 inch purse frame (I like my purse frames!) and room inside to store not only my cards, with easy access to my money, but it takes my phone too! Wicked.

So here's how...

First thing to do is make your pattern. I've done this before but until I spend the time to  properly archive my blog, I appreciate that finding the tutorial be a little tricky. Purse frames come in a myriad of shapes and sizes so unless you manage to get your mitts on the same one this patterns won't be much help to you, but it'll give you the general idea as to how to go about making a pattern. I can't claim credit for this one. Once again its u-handbag that's led me down the right path, and it hasn't gone wrong yet. You want the laundry day purse if you're checking it out yourself.
Draw around the top of your purse frame from the bottom of one hinge to the other. Then draw another line following the first, plus 1/2 inch. That's your seam allowance. After that its kind of up to you what shape you want you to purse to take. I seem to always follow this route, mainly because I know it works. Well if it ain't broke..

Measurements are in inches but the way folks.
Next, do your cutting. two pieces of main fabric, two of interfacing, two for lining and I also cut two of the top half of the pattern from fleece as it bulks out what you're trying to cram into the purse frame and alleviates the need for paper string.
Stitch your outer fabric together along the three straight edges, then box the corners, cutting off any excess.

Now turn your attention to the lining and what you want it to do. I wanted one side to store my cards and the other to take my phone.
Card side first. I folded my material in half first then cut a shape the size of the bottom half (the opposite half to the fleece pieces), then I did the same with a slightly narrower piece:
Top stitch both pieces, then base the bigger piece to the lining. Then get your card and lay it on top. As it stands, the pocket is way too deep for cards, You'll just lose them. So stitch a line across to act as the bottom.
Then lay your other pocket over the top and baste this on too. All  that's left to do is machine vertically to make your card divisions. Mine are a tad tight. Give yourself a little room.

Now the other side. Measure your phone, front and sides, then add an inch (2 x 1/2" seam allowance).Cut two rectangles and sew them together right sides facing along the top edge. Flip over and iron. Then grab your elastic and sew a channel just wider than it is. Poke it through the channel (stick a safety pin through it and thread it through), then machine it in place at one side, before pulling it as tight as you want and machining in place on the other side. then zigzag stitch around the sides and bottom, fold under and sew in place on the other side of your lining:
All that's left to do with your lining pieces now is to sew them together along the three straight edges, leaving that couple of inch gap at the bottom for turning. Be a little generous with this. There's a lot to get through the hole.
Now to the assembly. You want your outer bag with the right side facing inwards, the lining with the pocketed side facing outwards then the fleecy bit pinned on top of the lining. Then just sew around the edge. Easy. Turn it the right way out and press.

All that's left to do now is to glue it into the purse frame..(I say all!)
Put plenty of fabric glue into your frame and leave it to go off for a few minutes. Then poke your purse into the frame. It is longer than the frame so you'll need to gather it. I just get a (clean) screwdriver and poke it into place. Take your time on this and be careful of getting the glue onto your fabric, doesn't matter so much about the frame as that'll just pick off later.

Now you just leave it overnight and come the morning you can put all of your stuff into your brand spanking new purse! Lovely.
I'm done with fighting ladies now....

Right, time to go off and immerse myself in lots of dirty flutes. But there's money in them dirty flutes.

Take care. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment