Friday 22 June 2012

Variations on a Tea loaf

There are the odd occasions when I know I should have taken the photo sooner. This is one of them.
I love tea loaves. I can kid myself that they're kind of healthy due to an absence of butter in the mix (never mind the large amount of sugar!) and given the chance they'll keep for ages. Just not in this house.
I absolutely love Jamie Oliver's Earl Grey Tea Loaf but in the absence of Earl Grey tea bags in the kitchen, I thought I'd try an experiment with another variety. So this is my Lemon and Ginger Tea Loaf.

Ingredients:

200g mixed dried fruit
4 lemon and ginger tea bags
100g sugar
1 egg
200g self raising flour
1 tsp ground ginger

Stew up the teabags with 200ml of boiling water for about 5 minutes, then remove the teabag and add the fruit. Leave for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
Turn your oven on to 180C. Add the egg, then the sugar, then flour and ginger and mix. Pour into a 1lb loaf tin and bake for about an hour, until a skewer inserted comes out clean of mix.
Now you can leave it at this, but it is made even more scrummy by simmering about 100ml of lemon and ginger tea with two tbsp of sugar until syrupy and pouring over the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

The football over the last two weeks has given me an even better excuse than usual to bury myself in my workshop and make stuff. Not to mention the fact that I've got a stall at the village fete on Sunday and I'm frantically trying to get everything done for then. Its not like I haven't got enough stock already, but I always get overtaken by the urge to make something new. So I have.

I've continued with my mission to go back through back issues of magazines and make some of the project I'd earmarked. This week its Molly Makes. With the Molly dolly.


And a cute stuffed fox.

Last week I had a delivery from u-handbag and one of the things I ordered was a hard clam shell purse. They're not that cheap, at around £10, but they are ridiculously simple to make, you just need good glue and some fancy fabric.
And finally a purse, another pattern from A Bag For All Reasons,  another simple one to make and worked perfectly, even with a scaling down of the pattern because my frames were a slightly different size.
So that's it for this week. I'm digging out my wet weather gear for Sunday, wellies maybe essential I fear.
And if anyone fancies dragging themselves around a soggy field (Could I sell this any better??), its at the village hall in Bawdeswell on Sunday between 11am and 2pm. And before I forget, I have been overhauling my website, so please have a look. You'll find it at www.missannasemporium.co.uk
Now where's my gazebo gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment