Saturday 15 June 2013

Alice In Wonderland Costumes

Cute! My two girls all set for a Mad Hatters Tea Party this afternoon. They were so excited, they were in their costumes from lunchtime and asking every ten minutes if it was time to go yet. When you have two children to get fancy dress outfits for, it can get expensive, but these were made from t-shirts and scraps.

So, Alice first. I got one blue t-shirt and some blue cotton jersey which I ordered from eBay. I had to order a metre length of jersey, I only used about a 30cm length of a 160cm width piece. Now, life would have been a whole lot simpler had the t-shirt not been enormous. I got an age 5-6 for my five year old, but it could have almost fitted me as a skinny fit. So I had to reshape it before I started.
I turned the t-shirt inside out and drew around one of their old t-shirts to get the size. As I cut off the sleeves too I cut a half moon shape from them to make a cap sleeve and reattached these first before sewing up the side seams. I have only had a few goes at sewing jersey and I must admit, I'm not a huge fan, give me nice interfaced quit weight cotton any day. I have found that a long straight stitch reinforced with a zigzag stitch seems to hold quite well and allow for stretch without breaking.
The t-shirt remade, I cut the bottom off it 25cm for the armpit. Obviously the easiest way is to check with child present, as is also the case for determining the length of the skirt. That however, is the only bit of sewing where I find having a small child around is a good idea. And I didn't, so I had to use my judgement and other items of clothing. To make the skirt, cut a length across the width of the fabric. Mine was 160cm by about 30cm. Join the short sides right sides facing to make a tube, mark the centre with a pin, then gather the top edge either by hand or machine until it matches the bottom width of the t-shirt. Pin to the top, right sides facing- and use loads of pins!
Join with a zigzag stitch. And that's the dress done! Having subsequently tried this on young Wilbs, I found it to be a bit on the short side, so I attached a length of lace to the bottom of the skirt. The one great thing about jersey is that it doesn't fray, so you can leave the edges unhemmed.

The apron was made using a couple of white fat quarts I had previously bought for other things. Not sure what now and they've been in the fabric basket a while!
I made four straps from the width of the quart by 5cm. Fold and press in half along the length, then open out and fold edges into the centre. Press back in half again and sew.
The top was made from two 18cm square pieces. I marked 2cm in from each bottom edge and drew a line down to them from the top corner. I also shaped the top a little. Sandwich the straps in between the layers, pointing downwards and sew around the side and top edges. Clip the corners, turn the right side out and press, then top stitch. (Ignore the placement of the straps in the photo. I realised in time that they were wrong, wrong, wrong!)
The lower half of the apron, I cut two rectangles, the measurements I gauged from the skirt. I rounded the corners and sewed around the sides and bottom, turning right side out and pressing. I gathered the central 12cm. The central band was 22cm by 6cm. Cut two of these. Attach the top to one of the long sides, right sides facing, and the bottom the the opposing long side, sandwiched with the other central band piece.
Fold down the band piece that is only attached to the skirt and fold under the top edge so that it matches with its counterpart. Pin. fold in the sides and press, inserting the straps as you do so.
Sew all around the central band and that's it!

The white rabbit was made in a similar way to the Alice dress. I made up layers of netting, white fabric and something I used as a net curtain once upon a time, joined the sides and gathered it to make up the skirt, then joined it onto a white t-shirt. The waistcoat was another t-shirt, cut into a waistcoat shape and I stitched a pocket to it.

Hopefully I made two outfits that can be used again under another guise, either as fancy dress again, or just as dresses for the girls to use anytime. But you don't need to splash out a fortune, and they don't take a huge amount of sewing skill or time to throw together>

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment