Saturday 29 June 2013

The Minnie Mouse Birthday Party

I'm not one for children's parties, I freely admit that, and up until now I have quite successfully shirked out of them. The girls have had friends round for a party tea (with parents) and a vague hint of a few party games. But now Willow is at school and has seen how proper parties are done, there was no getting out of it this time around. For quite a long time I was dead set on paying for them to go to a soft play area, where the parties are run by the staff and I wouldn't have to get involved at all- easy! But when Willow suggested that she'd quite like a party at home- even with limited numbers- and one where they could make things, I got my thinking cap on. Obviously the crafty gene has rubbed off on my girls! 
Thank goodness for the Internet is all I can say. Once we had settled in a theme of Minnie Mouse, it was pretty straight forwards to find things to fit said theme. I'm someone who hates party bags with a passion and their plastic tat filled interiors, so after I stumbled upon a pattern for making bags they could decorate, they could then make things to go in the bags. These I found on the ikat blog: 

And the finished article:

I cut out some pretty patterned paper, provided glue along with copious amounts of glitter and sequins and let them set to. I will be finding glitter for months to come, but they were happy for a considerable length of time. 
We also made Minnie Mouse headbands, out of some ridiculously sticky backed foam and some spotty bows, and decorated cupcakes. 
As it turned out we had too much stuff to fill the time. My bean bag toss game complete with spotty bean bags didn't get played, 

Nor did pin the bow on Minnie

And we barely squeezed in the cake

But  I think it was seven happy children that left the premises after two crazy hours, there were certainly two happy ones here. 
So would I do it again? Actually, I probably would. And I have learnt a few things too. One, have all the food made in advance. Leaving proceedings with a husband who has no idea how to play musical statues (or so he claims) to roll out and make two pizzas was not a good move. And also, take notice of parents who have obviously been there and done it but decide not to impart their wisdom, but instead raise an eyebrow when you say it just the two of you doing it, and follow it with, 'You're brave'. Two adults is just not enough for nine children. 
And on the plus side, I have also learnt that if you give a group of girls a load of glitter and some glue, or cupcakes, icing and sprinkles, they will create an unholy mess, but be happy as anything doing it. And happy children makes for a happy mum! 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment