Saturday 6 August 2011

Saturday already? Really?

I don't have a clue where this week has disappeared to. I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't enough usable time in a day. For me, my usable time is after the children have gone to bed, because its generally pointless trying to achieve anything until said time. This week has disappeared with impromptu entertaining (of friends and family, not anything more elaborate!) numerous trips to the playground and train rides. Evenings have vanished with listing my bags on Etsy which does seem to take forever, and cramming in a couple of workouts (it would seem it is me that's eating all the cake!)
So now I've tucked myself away in my workshop, put on my iPod tuned to Orlando 96 Rock (reliving my teenage metal years) brewed a strong cup of coffee and I'm not leaving until I get something done.
I have got my next fat quart creation completed:
The Pleated Bag
For this one, you need one fat quart of something gorgeous and a fat quart of whatever you fancy to line it with. In this instance I just went for something neutral, an off cut of calico; and some interfacing.
To begin with, cut two 2 1/2" strips from one edge of each material.
Iron on interfacing to your main fabric. I used heavy interfacing for this one.
Make the strap
Place one strap piece and one lining piece RSF (right sides facing). Mark a curve on one end. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance leaving the non curved end open for turning.
Trim the excess material away from the curved edge and cut notches in so it lies flat once its turned.
Turn right side out using something long and pointy. I use a flute rod which is perfect for the job but a chopstick or similar will work just as well. Iron, then top stitch around the edges.
Main body
Cut the large rectangle of material in half.
Mark the placement of the pleats. Firstly mark the centre point, then two points 1 1/2" either side, then mark intervals of 2" then 1", then 2" then 1". Match up the marks either side of the central point and pin in place.
Bring the next two points together and pin, then the next. Both pleats should face towards the centre.
Iron the pleats in place, then machine stitch 2" down each pleat.
Repeat on the second piece, then pin both pieces RSF and sew around the sides and the bottom of the bag. Box the corners by taking the corner and matching the side and bottom seam lines, pin in place, then measure from the tip of the triangle 1 1/2" and mark a line across.
Sew along this line, then cut off any excess about 1/2" from the line of stitches.
Pin the straps in place then baste to hold.
Turn the bag the right way round.

Make the lining.
Pleat the lining in the same way as the outer but this time just baste in place with a running stitch along the top edge. With RSF stitch around the sides and bottom but be sure to leave a 3" gap for turning. Box the corners in the same way as the main body.

Assemble
Home straight now! Place the bag inside the lining with RSF. Match up side seams and central pleats, then pin around the rest of the edge. Sew around the top with a 1/2" seam allowance. Turn right side out through the hole in the lining. Slip stitch the hole in the seam then iron. Finally, top stitch around the top of the bag.
Its at this point that I have to keep my fingers crossed. My machine has been sounding decidedly clunky for a little while now and doesn't really seem to like sewing-well anything in general actually, but particularly not several layers of fabric in one go. But we survive this one. And minimal bad language and name calling too!
So there it is, the finished article.
Tie your handles together and you have a handbag which is the perfect size for your day to day needs and all for the cost of a few pounds and an hour at the machine!
Feet up time now, me thinks! Another cuppa and a great bit of acoustic Stone Temple Pilots. Nice..

No comments:

Post a Comment