Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Fat Quart Project

Yesterday, I took to one of my favorite places, one of the local fabric shops. I'm very lucky in that in the near vicinity, there are several fabric shops that stock a fantastic array of materials. Invariably, I return from such a jaunt with a handful of fat quarts and yesterday was no exception.
Lovely, lovely. I think fat quarts are fantastic. There's so much that you can do with that small piece of material which costs not usually much more than £3. So I'm going to set about a project. to make as many things as I can using these little gems. Initially I was going to do it over the month of August, but then I sat down and wrote a list of what I could make off the top of my head and came up with far too much. Which can only be a good thing.
So my first make was a binder cover. Anyone who knows me, knows I write like a demon, have done since I was in my teens. I have got folders and folders full of unfinished novel length stories which have never met any ones eyes but my own and probably never will. My husband jokes that maybe one day I'll make my fortune from it. I have a one word answer to that. No!

Anyway, I digress. I wanted something pretty so step forward a piece of Tilda fabric. These are also great in that they are a little bigger than your standard quart so therefore will cover an A4 binder. At this point I should also add that in this project I will be using extra scraps of material. Cheap calico is fantastic. My latest find is a duvet cover set from Ikea for a bargain £1.99. There's masses of material there. I scour the local charity shops for sheets and duvets which are an absolute goldmine.
I used this binder cover pattern with a few slight alterations. Not using a heavy fabric like denim, I interfaced the outer cover and the pockets. I used a piece of gingham for the inner sleeves. And best of all, it took me less than an hour to make from start to finish which is always good.
Its already in use and it has pockets to keep my pad and pens safe too.

For the next make I will have to go with a purse or a bag. I'll post that in a few days time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment