Monday 8 August 2011

Waste not...

I hate throwing food away. I must admit I'm slightly obsessive about it, to the point that the day before the weekly shop there is very little left in the fridge. Any usable leftovers go in the freezer, although more often than not in unmarked containers. The excitement of mystery food!
Bananas are one of the worst contenders in this house for being found well past their best, left looking a little brown and sad in the fruit bowl, so step forward Banana Cake.
This version does tend to change very slightly every time I make it, but its nice and light and, as cakes go, pretty good for you.
Ingredients:
75g low fat spread
100g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 ripe bananas
100g sultanas
50g oats
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream the spread and sugar together. Add the eggs. Stir in the flour and baking powder, then add the mashed bananas, sultanas, oats and vanilla. If it needs it you can add a tablespoon of milk too. Spoon into a greased 450g (1lb) loaf tin then bake  at 180/ fan 160, for an hour.
Easy as that!

I got some new material over the weekend and sad though it is I'm really excited with it. Check it out!
I totally love it (thanks very much www.fancymoon.co.uk) so much so that I've already made this with some of it.
That's about a fat quarts worth so I'll stick the instructions on soon. I say it so often, but this bag is a definite keeper!



No comments:

Post a Comment