Saturday 17 September 2011

Frilly Aprons

Greetings! My parents said to me this week that I must have been busy because I haven't posted as much recently. I have, but I couldn't tell you why, its just been one of those weeks that's slipped through my fingers. Given that Wilbsy started pre school this week and therefore technically I have three hours a day that are a little freer with only one child to look after, there should have been some more time available to me, but I feel like I've been busier than ever. But having spoken to other mums apparently this is generally the case. Once again, that me time vanishes into the void...
And so to business. I have been making things virtually every evening, but there are several unfinished projects lurking in the workshop, like some cafe curtains for the kitchen, but a lack of ric rac braiding means those will have to wait. And I did have a clarinet service to do too. (Proper work.)
I made a few purses from an Amy Butler pattern for a few of my lovely Avon customers:
And then these beauties which I have had to hide from my girls or they'll be heading in that direction!

I'm trying my best at the moment not to buy any new pieces of fabric, but to use up some of my existing stash, which currently fills quite a large box. And then some. Anyway, this used up two such pieces plus a piece of calico and some bias binding.
This is how its done:
  • Cut an apron shape. I took mine from an apron I already had. Its 40cm long and 30cm at the widest point, (so an ideal fat quart size) You want to cut two from the calico.
  • From your patterned fabric you need to cut a pocket shape and an identical one from the calico too, then two strips 15cm by 80cm for the frill.
  • Place the pocket pieces right sides facing and sew around the edges leaving a couple of inch gap along the top edge for turning. Turn the right side out, fold the raw edges in and press, then top stitch along the top edge to close the gap. Sew in place on the front side of your apron, back stitching at both ends.
  • The frill is next, and this is made a whole world easier with a gathering foot for your machine. Couple of quid on eBay and quite frankly I wouldn't have bothered with a lot of frilly things without it. Firstly, join the two strips together, then do a double hem of 5mm along one edge. The easiest way to do this (and I tried a couple of ways in the course of this) is to iron the edge over 1cm, then tuck the raw edge under. Always press then the job is simple. After you've sewn the hem then gather the other edge. If you don't have a gathering foot, then a straight stitch on the longest setting will do, pull on the bobbin thread to make the gather.
  • Centre the seam of the frill at the centre of the apron, then pin around the bottom half, right side to right side.
  • Stitch in place.
  • Next, place the other apron piece over the top, right sides facing, pin in place and sew all around the edges apart from the top edge. Turn and press.
  • All that's left to do is the binding. Press your binding in half. Edge the top first, Then cut a piece about 2m long which you use to create the straps, edge the sides and the neck strap.
  • That's easier to see on the boys version which is made in exactly the same way but without the frill. Obviously.. far too girly.
So that's it. It took me a couple of hours to make three, so they're not a major project. I love things that can be finished in an evening. Gives me a slightly smug sense of achievement.

I would have got this post written a bit earlier this evening, but I got drawn into a website I just found. Its called Urban Threads and its amazing. Now I'm not usually one for embroidery, but this has completely inspired me. Not just that, if you dig a little deeper you'll find tutorials on other things to do with their designs. I can sense a bit of wood burning coming on....
Take care and happy weekend to you. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment