Tuesday 20 September 2011

Old for new

I have a confession. Right now I really should be doing a workout as its been a little while. But instead of flinging myself around the front room like a mad woman (behind the privacy of closed curtains I hasten to add), I fell asleep whiile putting Pambers to bed and didn't wake up until eight o'clock, by which time I deemed it too late. So I'm baking cakes instead. Double badness! But I will have happy chocolatey children at lunchtime tomorrow.
As you probably already know, I'm a great one for reusing things that have outlived their initial purpose. I found on the Urban Threads website (one which my husband has already dubbed the "you're not on there again" sirte) a tutorial for turning a pair of old combat trousers into a skirt. Their version is fantastically embroidered as you would expect, but I am no where near a competant enough embroiderer so I fell back on a bit of applique.
It uses the final scap of my favorite red manga fabric too and I'm well chuffed with the results.

All you need to do is take an old pair of trousers and cut them off at the length you require. If its denim you're using you don't need to worry about a seam allowance, if not add on an extra couple of centimetres. Then cut up either side of the inside leg seam.

On both sides continue the cut upwards along the central seam until you reach the fly on the front and an equivalent point on the back, then pull one section across the other so that the bottom seam forms (roughly) a continuous line. Pin in place tucking the raw edge under, then sew. Trim the excess from the underside and repeat on the back. I had to remove a bit from my pair of trousers to make them fit which I trimmed out from the central back seam. Hem along the bottom edge using a double seam. Your skirt is now finished. I added the applique first fusing my chosen pieces on with bondaweb then securing it in place with a zigzag stitch.
For more comprehensive instructions and more photos check out the machine embroidery tutorials on Urban Threads.

I now have to focus and prepare for my next craft fair which is at Central Hall in Wymondham, Norfolk on Saturday morning. Pop along and say hello! Fingers crossed its a touch busier than last time!

Finally, for tonight, is there anything happier than a small child covered in ice cream?
Sticky cheeriness!
Take care. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment