Tuesday 20 May 2014

Fashion DIY

Well, kiddie fashion anyway, extending the use of one of Amber's favourite tops. 
She's had this Tatty Teddy top for a couple of years, it's age 2-3 and she's now 4 and a very tall 4 too. Around the body it still fitted fine, but it was a little on the short side and the sleeves were too tight. 
So the first thing I did was to make it into a T-shirt which was just a matter of cutting off the flowery sleeves. 
I then cut off the seam and the hemmed cuffs and sewed them together to make a long strip.
The long strip I cut centrally lengthways, evened it all out so it was 3 inches wide,  and sewed them all together to make a band. I ran a gathering stitch along the top edge, pulling it up so it was the same   length as the bottom edge of the T-shirt. I pinned it in place, rights sides together, with the frill facing upwards and sewed it up. To finish, I ironed the frill down. As its jersey it saves you the need to hem as it doesn't fray, making alterations a breeze!
An easy new summer top and a bit of extra life for an old favourite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment