Friday 15 November 2013

Half Way!!

It's the fifteenth today, so that means I'm half way through this blogging challenge! Wo-ho!! Thank you to those who have stuck with me thus far. I did hope in doing this that I'd learn to use Blogger a bit better- nope; or that the quality of my photos would improve- nope. But never mind. Another fifteen days to go on that! Have I got another fifteen days worth of things to write about? Well to be perfectly frank, I didn't think I'd get this far and when I think I've run out of subjects, something always pops up its head and presents itself. 

In a bid to try something new, I have been buying a random and unknown product from my local Morrisons supermarket. They have a pretty cool exotic veg section which lightly dusts the vegetables and salad with a wave of  cold air. If you've been there, you'll know what I'm on about. This week, I grabbed one of these:

It's called a dudhi, looks like an anaemic courgette. A quick scour of the Internet and I learnt it's a melony squash type thing and you can stick it in most things. On peeling it and chopping it, it's texture is very similar to an aubergine. So I stuck it in my weekly curry. 

Along with some leftover chicken from the Sunday roast and some peas. 
Verdict? It's okay. Didn't knock my socks off. It tasted like a bitter aubergine, bulked out the curry nicely, not sure I'm going to rush out and buy it again, it's not going to top my weekly shopping list. But these things are worth a try. 
When I lived in Kent I was spoilt with some amazing farmers markets and I tried a whole variety of fruit, veg and game, but of recent times, and certainly with small children's tastes to cater for I have become less adventurous. So this week I have and onion squash, some galangal and some persimon fruit. Get me!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment