Wednesday 6 November 2013

World Saxophone Day

It's World Saxophone Day today so being a sax player, it seems kind of relevant that I write my blog post about that. I started playing the sax when I was sixteen. I'm sure boys probably had something to do with the decision to take it up. I already played the clarinet and oboe so I guess the sax was a natural progression from there. 
Growing up I had a great time playing in orchestras, wind bands and jazz bands. I got to visit places I certainly wouldn't have done otherwise. 
But I'm not a jazz player. Stand me up there without any music in front of me and I haven't got a clue where to start. My husband, on the other hand, is also a sax player, but he doesn't read music, he only improvises. It's a skill I'm hugely envious of. 
I don't play much any more. I usually see instruments more in this condition these days

They arrive with me broken and leave in a much better state. So all those years of learning and practicing haven't completely gone to waste as I firmly believe that if I couldn't play these instruments to a high standard, how could I fix them for the professionals and teachers who bring them to me. 


It's been a day for baritones today. Could be piccolos tomorrow.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment