Saturday 23 November 2013

The Nutcracker

On reading my new copy of Molly Makes this afternoon the pattern for these little fabric Nutcracker doll caught my eye. 

And it got me thinking towards maybe theming my Christmas tree this year. I must admit that I've given up trying to have any control over how the tree looks for the last few years. I hand the girls the box of baubles and stand back, subtly redistributing and elevating some beyond the reach of a four year old, after they've gone to bed. I've even relented to tinsel. But this year I might try something different. 
I have always loved the ballet. I'm pretty sure I went to see The Nutcracker as a child and I always search it out in the TV listings at Christmas. It's not just for its magical escapism however, it's more for the music. I am a little obsessed with Tchaikovsky. I wrote my dissertation on The Sleeping Beauty and somehow manage to centre most of my final years work at uni around his works. I can listen to the music of Tchaikovsky time and time again and there are passages that never fail to make my skin tingle, to give me goosebumps, it's that powerful. 
 However, I digress. There are a multitude of ideas I can go at with a Nutcracker theme. 


Very pink and girly I admit. Then again, this is a pretty pink and girly house (my poor husband!) 
 
 




I've had an idea for making fairytale themed bunting and I think that this may well be the place to start!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment