Sunday 10 November 2013

Quick Tips

I spent a couple of hours at a child's birthday party today. Usually a somewhat torturous time- I can't wait until they're old enough to be left- today I got into a good old chat about money saving tips and foodie exchange. No matter how many books you read, items  on the news or programmes in the television, nothing beats talking to other people. 
So in light of that, here's my top tip for today. For this one I have to pay credit to Jamie Oliver, but it works a treat and has saved last minute dashes to the shop before lunch. 
As I have previously mentioned, I have to cook a Sunday lunch, I'm not allowed to get out of it. I do my weekly shop on a Thursday and invariably, if I run out of gravy granules, I forget by the time we get that far into the week. This works for chicken, I haven't tried it on any other kind of joint. 
If you peel an onion and cut it into wedges, placing them under the chicken before cooking. I roast my chicken in a Le Creuset pan which goes in the job and in the oven. After cooking, remove the chicken, skim off some of the fat, then place the pan back over the heat, scraping off the- for want of a better word- crusty bits. 
Next, sprinkle over about a tablespoon of flour. Now I was sceptical about this. I thought I'd end up with a lumpy floury mess, but a good vigorous stir does the trick. Pour in about half a pint of boiling water.
Bring to the boil and keep stirring, it'll thicken up, then strain out the onions and any other bits through a sieve, season to taste.
It's lovely, tasty gravy and saves me buying any Bisto, so thanks Jamie!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment